Saturday, April 21, 2012

Dirt Removal: Chapter 4


Plan D, once it became a plan, made us smack our heads over our stupidity for not thinking of it WAY earlier. All this time we had been trying to figure out how we'd get this dirt out ourselves, but duh, we would pay someone to take away the dirt for us! And, upon searching Craig's List we found that there was quite a market for "backyard rubbish removal." So the next day, I called one of the listings, negotiated a price of $150 and made an appointment for that evening.

I waited in anticipation. When I finally got a knock on our front door, I opened it to see two giant men and one giant truck. All good signs. I happily lead them to our backyard and presented the haphazardly thrown bags. One of the men immediately stepped forward, moved to lift a bag, failed to lift the bag, and concluded, in a heavy Polish accent, that the bags were "unliftable." I mean, I knew they were "unliftable" by someone like me, but I assumed that for these men, the bags would somehow be "liftable." I guess not. They instructed me to redistribute the dirt amongst more bags, so they were lighter. And then, they left. It took only 3 minutes for Plan D to completely crumble.

And now it's today. I'm sitting in our backyard, smiling at our garden and then cringing at those bags, which are growing heavier by the day, I'm sure of it. They stare back, mocking me as I strategize on Plan E.

"body" bags

No comments:

Post a Comment